Thursday, January 21, 2010

Can you put that, and that, and this, and that on the side?

It is only 9:30 a.m., but I’ve accomplished a lot already or at least a lot for me. I started off with a few laps around the jogging path. Took my much-needed shower, and met the rest of the team to go out for breakfast.

This was the true test for me: eating out.

I love eating out. I am the person in the office always dragging everyone else out over lunch and the one in our group of friends that organizes dinner parties. Eating out is a social experience for me. I think of it as my way to bond with my loved ones. All for the low-price of only 1,000 calories a plate. YIKES!

Kathy and Cindy took us to Benedict’s, a local favorite for breakfast. Kathy had called ahead (something she said we should all start doing) to make sure the coffee came with skim milk, not cream, and that the fruit would be served family style on the table when we arrived; having fruit before the meal acts a stomach-filler for the rest of your meal.

Then she made us tell her what we would have ordered pre-Cooper Wellness. We all shamefully looked over the menu (some of us might have been drooling) and told her our options. Naturally, I went for the dish with hollandaise sauce poured all over it! And, she didn’t take that away. Luckily, I changed my mind just as I was ordering and got a Mexican omelet instead. Which, was much easier to health-ify. (Technical term, haha!)

She made sure we all knew that we had to be picky orderers to really get what was healthy for us. Here’s how she taught us to order our omelets, which I promise were still filling and delicious:
· Egg Beaters or egg whites
· Cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa on the side
· English muffin or wheat toast
· Tomato slices instead of potatoes

Ta da! Our meal was wonderful. I didn’t even finish half my plate because I was so full. The best part was that I didn’t feel guilty walking out of the restaurant.

Does anyone else worry about eating out? Or is that just me?

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying you blog about this week. Between your blog and my brief chats with my husband I feel like I am there!

    ReplyDelete